Friday, May 19, 2006

Because you know, the world COULD end on my birthday

So I had this great idea for a new internet meme, which I came up with while listening to Johnny Cash's cover of "The Man Comes Around" on my way home from work. This would consist of finding the verse of the Reverse of St. John the Divine that correlates to your birthday. Unfortunately, I sort of screwed myself by forgetting how short the chapters are, and chapter five is only 14 verses long (although, on a side note, I must point out that anyone born in the first half of June is totally set since they get the opening of the first six seals).

But anyways, I decided I'd go old school and check out the book of Daniel, since half of the Revelation is ripped off of it anyway, and that didn't work out too bad. In context, from the NRSV, with my verse in bold:

Then Daniel answered the king, "Let your gifts be for yourself, and give your rewards to another; nevertheless I will read the writing to the king and make known to him the interpretation. O king, the Most High God gave Nebuchadnezzar your father kingship and greatness and glory and majesty; and because of the greatness that he gave him, all peoples, nations, and languages trembled and feared before him; whom he would he slew, and whom he would he kept alive; whom he would he raised up, and whom he would he put down. But when his heart was lifted up and his spirit was hardened so that he dealt proudly, he was deposed from his kingly throne, and his glory was taken from him..."

So what do you get for your birthday?

Academics Blog Top Sites