Friday, June 09, 2006

Is this acceptable behavior?

AP: U.S. shows photos of battered al-Zarqawi

The headline really says everything of note in the article: the military is displaying photos of al-Zarqawi's corpse's battered face. Where? Why? Not mentioned anywhere in the article at this point, as far as I can tell. I'm assuming it's just to confirm his death to the public in some fashion.

But parading around images of a dead enemy is something I feel a bit uncomfortable with. This has probably been discussed previously--I feel like there might have been a bit of a controversy with a similar approach to Saddam Hussein's sons--but my long-term memory ain't so good, and I'm too lazy to research. Regardless, I have suspicious that if American war dead--either grunt or general--were displayed in a similar fashion, the American response would be widespread condemnation and outrage.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Shrug.

Academics Blog Top Sites