Friday, June 09, 2006

Friday Random 10: 9 June 2006

This was inspired by the discovery that Bill Laswell did an album with Matisyahu's backing band. That sort of scares me. A lot. I've been trying to work up the courage to preview the tracks for about a half hour, and I haven't got there yet. Here's what I've been listening to instead.

1. Nancy Sinatra - It Ain't Me, Babe
Speaking of creepy weirdness... I was doing my bimonthly search to see if eMusic has picked up anything that includes Lucy Kaplansky's cover of this track off of Red House Record's Nod to Bob when I discovered that this was on one of the Nancy Sinatra albums that just went up. It really doesn't have any of the elements that appeal to me from any other version of the track I've heard. But it's pretty catchy, which is sort of weird in and of itself.
2. Dead Kennedys - At My Job
3. Goblin - Phenomena-M15 (Alternate Version)
My favorite Goblin track, possibly good enough to make Phenomena my favorite Argento film (although far from his best). If there was a God, this would have been in Opera (which may very well be his best) instead of Phenomena.
4. Tito Puente - Lambada Timbales
5. Luxt - Genocide Skin
I miss Luxt. What made the band work seemed to be their inherent contradiction: it always felt like the female lead wanted to be in a heavier goth/ethereal band, whereas the male lead wanted to be in a more standard metal/coldwave band. They finally got the balance right on Chromasex Monkeydrive and American Beast, so of course they broke up.
6. 1000 Homo DJs - Supernaut
I didn't realize I had this on my laptop. I think I can say with confidence that this probably didn't show up on VH1's much-maligned top 40 metal tracks of all time special.

It really should have. I honestly don't think I know a single metalhead or rivethead whose eyes don't light up when you say, "And they all sing the same refrain: it's fun to take a trip. Put acid in your veins."

7. Lard - Bozo Skeleton
Oh, wow! I was just thinking about this track this morning: I was reading about Joe Lieberman's primary challenge, which set me to thinking about Lieberman & Tipper Gore, inevitably conjuring the lyrics
Washington Stepford wives
Would we be Stepford children?
If they could do away
With the music we love the most
Lyrics warp your children's minds
"Just a minute now, that's our job!"
Your worst enemy is your own kids
Don't talk with them, buy our lies instead


8. Spahn Ranch - The Warmth of Silence
9. Revolting Cocks - Caliente (Dark Entries)
I'd just like to take amoment to acknowledge that this is both the third Ministry side-project to appear, and also Jello Biafra's third appearance. This isn't rigged, I swear! Although I am also forced to admit that the vocals are distorted enough on this track that I'm not actually sure that the voice I think is Jello is, in fact, Jello.

10. Ladytron - Sugar (Jagz Kooner Mix)

Academics Blog Top Sites