Thursday, February 02, 2006

Last SotU post. I promise.

Thanks again to Washington Monthly for pointing out this choice quote:

"I believe in a relatively quick period of time, within my lifetime, we'll be able to reduce if not end dependence on Middle Eastern oil by this new technology" of converting corn, wood, grasses and other products into ethanol, he said.

Mr. Drum points to it being a bouncing ball of responses to the issue. He's a bit more forgiving than I; I'm skeptical enough to suspect that the President is saying one thing while his handlers say another.

Also? On the scale in which we're concerned about global warming, at the very least--and also the scale on which we're worried about oil supplies--he really seems to be saying that we'll be able to reduce or end dependence on Middle Eastern oil at around the time we have no choice in the matter. A tip of the hat to Captain Obvious.

Academics Blog Top Sites