Saturday, February 11, 2006

Cognitive Dissonance, Vagina-Style

I'm not sure which part of this article is weirder for me:

--That The Vagina Monologues still manages to be controversial in this day and age. I acknowledge that I consciously realize that there are many people in this country who are uncomfortable with frank discussions of sex, not to mention everything else that gets discussed in the show. But to describe such a thing as somehow being inherently anti-Catholic? Especially in the context of a university, especially one as big as Notre Dame? Besides, if The Vagina Monologues is the negative of Catholicism, does that mean these people want us to associate Roman Catholicism with violence against women or something? Or just that the Church is anti-Vagina? I'm not just being hyperbolic and demagogic, I'm seriously curious here. It's just sort of surreal to me.

--That someone can write an AP article on such a topic, and even explicitly mention that the show is generally performed around Valentine's Day and not even mention the context of V Day seems pretty sloppy. Either Mr. Coyne didn't bother to do his research AT ALL, there's a strong bias at work here, or both. Could, I suppose, answer some questions from the first bizarreness.

Who knows?

Academics Blog Top Sites