Tuesday, January 17, 2006

A salvo in my battle with procrastination

I need to start listening to BBC Radio specials. I have collected an impressive backlog of links that I intend to listen to someday, and haven't gotten around to yet. Two of note that I've just bookmarked:

Reith Lectures 2003: The Emerging Mind has series of lectures by noted cognitive scientist Vilayanur S Ramachandran. They should be delicious.
(via PsyBlog)

And yesterday was posted a BBC special titled Confessions of a Crap Artist:

Philip K Dick is now world famous, thanks to films like Blade Runner, Total Recall and Minority Report. But in the last years of his life he encountered something so strange and troubling he couldn't stop writing about it. Writer Ken Hollings asks: was it Phil's fault God talked to him or was it God's?


This holds some special significance to me. First off, Philip K Dick is probably my favorite author of prose fiction. Second, his collision with madness/enlightenment/outright strangeness had a strong influence in sending me towards neuroscience out of the desire to try to understand how the brain works--and to see if there was any room for a model to explain what had happened to him. So I'm hoping that this will be as interesting as it deserves to be.
(via Mind Hacks)

Academics Blog Top Sites